M6231B Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database
Buffalo Dates: 7/29/2013 - 8/2/2013, 10/7/2013 - 10/11/2013
Rochester Dates: Please call for availability
Length: 5 Days
Delivery Method: Instructor-Led.
* Discounting may be available for multiple students attending from the same organization and for private training classes; contact us for more information.
Course Description: This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2008 product features and tools related to maintaining a database.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain SQL Server 2008 R2 architecture, resources requirements and perform pre-checks of I/O subsystems
- Plan, install and configure SQL Server 2008 R2
- Backup and restore databases
- Import and export wizards and explain how they relate to SSIS
- Use BCP and BULK INSERT to import data
- Manage security Assign, configure fixed database roles and create and assign user defined database roles
- Configure and assign permissions
- Implement SQL Server 2008 R2 Audits
- Manage SQL Server 2008 R2 Agent and Jobs
- Configure database mails, alerts and notifications
- Maintain databases
- Configure SQL Profiler Traces and Use the Database Tuning Advisor
- Monitor data by using Dynamic Management Views
- Execute multi-server queries and configure a central management server
- Deploy a data-tier-application
- Troubleshoot common issues
Target Student: The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. This course can also be helpful for individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design.
- Completed Course 2778: Writing Queries Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Transact-SQL or have equivalent knowledge.
Full Course Outline
Module 1: Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 and its Toolset
Module 2: Preparing Systems for SQL Server 2008 R2
Module 3: Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2
Module 4: Working with Databases
Module 5: Understanding SQL Server 2008 R2 Recovery Models
Module 6: Backup of SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
Module 7: Restoring SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
Module 8: Importing and Exporting Data
Module 9: Authenticating and Authorizing Users
Module 10: Assigning Server and Database Roles
Module 11: Authorizing Users to Access Resources
Module 12: Auditing SQL Server Environments
Module 13: Automating SQL Server 2008 R2 Management
Module 14: Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
Module 15: Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2 with Alerts and Notifications
Module 16: Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance
Module 17: Tracing Access to SQL Server 2008 R2
Module 18: Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2
Module 19: Managing Multiple Servers
Module 20: Troubleshooting Common SQL Server 2008 R2 Administrative Issues