Oracle Database 11g New Features for Administrators
Buffalo Dates: Please call for availability
Rochester Dates: Please call for availability
Length: 5 Days
* Discounting may be available for multiple students attending from the same organization and for private training classes; contact us for more information.
Course Description: The purpose of this two-volume training course is to assist experienced Oracle database administrators to quickly learn the new features and concepts associated with the 11g release of the Oracle database.
Target Student: The target audience for this course is database administrators with experience using earlier versions of the Oracle database server who wish to learn about the new and modified features introduced in Oracle 11g.
The mandatory prerequisite for this course is experience administering an Oracle database using version Oracle 10g. Those who lack such experience would be better served by completing the curriculum for new database administrators comprising the following course modules:
- ORACLE DATABASE 11G: ADMINISTRATION I
- ORACLE DATABASE 11G: ADMINISTRATION II
Based upon this knowledge one will be able to utilize these features and realize the benefits they bring. Among the specific subjects we will consider are:
- Install and initially configure, or upgrade the Oracle 11g database software.
- Work within the structure of the changed Enterprise Manager (EM) interface and the database control.
- Discuss changes, enhancements and new features within the database architecture, the database parameters and the utilities and facilities used by administrators.
- Implement comprehensive Oracle 11g automatic memory management.
- The Fault Diagnosability Infrastructure now included within the database and the first-failure data capture capabilities which enhance problem troubleshooting, diagnosis and resolution.
- Components include the Health Monitor, Support Workbench and Incident Packaging subsystem.
- Security enhancements include encryption of data, database security attack countermeasures, enhanced default security settings, and the SecureFiles storage mechanism.
- Backup and recovery enhancements provided through the RMAN framework.
- Duplicating and cloning databases for the creation of test platforms, standby database installations and application workload replay.
- Guided recovery of database failures and corruption using the Data Recovery Advisor.
- Automatic Storage Management (ASM) enhancements.
- Storage improvements including advanced compression techniques and algorithms.
- Consider both the challenge and the necessity of changes to the systems infrastructure and how these can disrupt production applications.
- Review the goals of change management, change assurance and how these are implemented with Real Application Testing technology available with the Oracle 11g database. An entire volume has been dedicated to Real Application Testing Learn how to perform the capture of a production database workload while not interfering with the applications or users involved.
- Learn how to replay the production workload on a test database configuration, providing a real-world test of how an actual application will function in an envisioned database configuration.
- Learn how to configure clients which will simulate the network interaction of real-world users in a test configuration.
- Perform a detailed analysis of application execution within proposed database configurations to assess whether the application performance will progress or regress as a result of the proposed change.
- Use the SQL Performance Analyzer tool to measure progression or regression of individual SQL statements under a proposed database configuration, providing a detailed level of change assurance before the change ever occurs.
Full Course Outline
DATABASE INSTALLATION & UPGRADE
DATABASE ARCHITECTURE CHANGES
AUTOMATIC MEMORY MANAGEMENT
DIAGNOSING DATABASE PROBLEMS
MISCELLANEOUS NEW FEATURES
ORACLE FLASHBACK TECHNOLOGY
DATABASE DUPLICATION & CLONING
RECOVERY WITH DATA RECOVERY ADVISOR
CONFIGURE THE REPLAY DATABASE
SQL PERFORMANCE ANALYZER